Uefa kicks off search for Euro 2028 hosts with joint bids permitted
UEFA EURO 2028 is set to take place over 51 matches and feature 24 teams, as has been the case for the previous two tournaments. Joint bids are permitted, provided that the bidding countries are geographically compact.
Interested parties will need to provide 10 stadiums, with the following capacities:
• Minimum of 1 stadium with at least 60,000 net seating capacity
• Minimum of 1 stadium, preferably 2 stadiums, with at least 50,000 net seating capacity
• Minimum of 4 stadiums with at least 40,000 net seating capacity
• Minimum of 3 stadiums with at least 30,000 net seating capacity
The bidding timeline, which interested parties will need to follow, can be found here:
• 23 March 2022 – Deadline for national associations to confirm their interest to bid
• 30 March 2022 – Bid requirements are made available to the bidders
• 5 April 2022 – Announcement of bidders by UEFA
• 12 April 2023 – Final Bid dossier submission deadline
• September 2023 – Appointment of host(s) of UEFA EURO 2028
In order to ensure compatibility with the competition’s sporting and commercial format, the automatic qualification of the host team(s) shall be guaranteed only for a single host or a maximum of two joint host associations, as always implemented in the past.
In case of more than two joint host associations, the automatic qualification of all the host teams cannot be guaranteed and shall be subject to a decision to be made in conjunction with decisions concerning the qualifying competition.
As the competition regulations have not yet been issued, information regarding dates, the number of participating teams and the number of matches are provisional and may therefore change.
The latest commerical details, groundbreaking interviews and industry analysis, free, straight to your inbox.
Sign up today to receive the newsletter.
With the increasing value being attributed to young players, this report provides insight into the hottest prospects on the market.
Soccerex Football Finance 100 is an exclusive annual report that compiles a ranking of the world’s most financially powerful clubs.
Follow us on twitter to receive our latest market insight, industry interviews and news about our upcoming events.