Manchester United dominate in latest POWA Index Social Media Best Practice Rankings
In this edition, we look at the the Best Practice Index for clubs around the world across 3 of the largest social media platforms - Twitter, Facebook and Instagram in the months leading up to the end of the year. Manchester United rank 1st or 2nd across each platform, with FC Barcelona not far off, despite not hitting the heights they are used to recently. European clubs dominate every top 25, while the Premier League is prominent throughout.
- Over 50% of the Top 25 are from England, and over 80% from Europe
- There are 11 Premier League (England) clubs, three from LaLiga (Spain), two from Super Lig (Turkey), Brasileiro (Brazil) and FA WSL (England)
- Manchester United triumph in the battle of the superclubs, with excellent growth and engagement, though results on the pitch varied, with the 6-1 loss to Tottenham in the league and a great win at PSG in the Champions League.
- Manchester United Women have the best channel growth and are the highest ranked women’s team (9th), Arsenal Women also make the list (15th)
- Turkey’s Fenerbahçe take 2nd spot, their fans providing the best engagement figures in the month, helped by a 4 game winning streak in Super Lig in the month.
- Leeds United’s resurgence shows no sign of slowing down as they take 12th in the list after a great start to the first Premier League campaign in 15 years
- Flamengo are the highest placed South American team (6th), after going unbeaten during the month
- Egyptian league leaders Al Ahly are the only African representative and take 13th place, after going unbeaten in October
- Japan’s Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo (21st) are the only Asian representative
- 11 of the Top 25 are from England, and 23 from Europe
- There are 10 Premier League (England) clubs, four from LaLiga (Spain), two from Serie A (Italy), Super Lig (Turkey) and Ligue 1 (France)
- Manchester United take top spot with the highest engagement
- Spain’s Cadiz (4th) have the highest channel growth, assisted by an unbeaten run, and winning away at Real Madrid in LaLiga, compatriots Almeria (5th) also had impressive channel growth
- Manchester United Women are the solitary women’s team representatives (7th)
- Egyptian league leaders Al Ahly are the highest ranked team outside Europe (14th) and the only African representative
- Flamengo are the highest placed South American team and take the final place in the list (25th)
- Seven of the Top 25 are from England, five from Spain and 21 from Europe
- There are seven Premier League (England) clubs, five from LaLiga (Spain), three from Serie A (Italy), Brasileiro (Brazil) and Super Lig (Turkey), and two from Bundesliga (Germany)
- Barcelona pip Manchester United for top spot thanks to the highest engagement
- Spain’s Almeria have the highest channel growth
- Flamengo are the highest ranked team outside Europe (9th) the highest placed South American team
- Indian ISL team Kerala Blasters (24th) and the only Asian representative
The latest commerical details, groundbreaking interviews and industry analysis, free, straight to your inbox.
Sign up today to receive the newsletter.
With the increasing value being attributed to young players, this report provides insight into the hottest prospects on the market.
Soccerex Football Finance 100 is an exclusive annual report that compiles a ranking of the world’s most financially powerful clubs.
Follow us on twitter to receive our latest market insight, industry interviews and news about our upcoming events.