Comprehensive study provides eye-opening insights into female interest in soccer in the U.S.
CHICAGO, November 11, 2019– Gilt Edge Soccer Marketing, the leading soccer-specific brand marketing agency, today released proprietary findings on female interest and engagement in soccer in the United States. Insights provide brand marketers with a greater appreciation for soccer’s unique connection to the female consumer.
Among its many findings, the Female Passion Report revealed that:
- 28 percent of female soccer fans prefer the women’s game over the men’s game, while 26 percent prefer the men’s game
- Female soccer fans watch 1games on average a week
- 40 percent of female soccer fans have become interested in the game in the last five years. The equivalent statistic for male interest is 24 percent
- Women tend to find their soccer passion later in life with 38 percent indicating they became a fan after the age of 18
- Females fans regularly follow or have interest in more than four clubs
- 61 percent are more interested in women’s soccer as a result of 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup
- 75 percent believe female soccer players should be paid the same as male players
The report is based on findings from the seventh annual study conducted by the agency in an annual exploration of soccer fandom in United States. The online survey hosted by Qualtrics included general market and Hispanic consumers aged 13 and older who indicate at least a casual interest in soccer. The study took place during a one-week window in August 2019 with a nationwide sample size of 1,650 respondents.
Gilt Edge Soccer Marketing President John Guppy believes the attention garnered this summer by the U.S. Women’s National Team has helped put the female sports fan firmly in the spotlight.
“Female interest in soccer has historically indexed higher than most of the other major sports. Our hope is the findings of this study further help brands develop a deeper comprehension for the special connection soccer has with the female consumer,” said Guppy.
Access to an expanded set of survey insights including analysis of the following is available at www.giltedgesoccer.com/female-passion-report.
- Female fan demographics
- What women think about men’s soccer compared to women’s game
- Factors that influence female interest in soccer
- Interest in major professional men’s leagues
- How women self-categorize their interest in soccer
- Perspectives on the U.S. Women’s & Men’s National Teams
- The legacy impact of the FIFA Women’s World Cup
About Gilt Edge Soccer Marketing
Gilt Edge Soccer Marketing is the leading soccer-specific marketing agency purposefully built to help brands understand and connect with American soccer consumers. For more than 10 years, GESM has provided over 50 clients with consumer insights, strategic guidance, experiential and promotional resource and digital marketing expertise. For more information please visit www.giltedgesoccer.comand follow @SoccerMarketing on Twitter.
Contact: [email protected]
The latest commerical details, groundbreaking interviews and industry analysis, free, straight to your inbox.
Sign up today to receive our daily email.
With the increasing value being attributed to young players, this report provides insight into the hottest prospects on the market.
Soccerex Football Finance 100 is an exclusive annual report that compiles a ranking of the world’s most financially powerful clubs.
Follow us on twitter to receive our latest market insight, industry interviews and news about our upcoming events.