Ukraine opposition to launch probe into Euro 2012 costs
11 Jun 2012
The Ukrainian opposition party is to launch an investigation into possible misappropriation of state budget funds for preparations of UEFA Euro 2012.
Ukrainian parliament Vice Speaker Mykola Tomenko said that the investigation would be launched immediately following the conclusion of this year’s tournament, which is being co-hosted by Ukraine and Poland and will conclude on July 1. The tournament kicked off on Friday after turbulent preparations in Ukraine, where political upheaval stifled progress for considerable spells.
“The [Ukrainian] opposition will initiate hearings in parliament over the use of budget funds in preparation for the championship the next day after it’s over,” Tomenko told a news briefing in Kiev, according to RIA Novosti. Tomenko said that Ukrainian prosecutors must clarify all issues to suspected misuse of state funds.
The majority of financing for tournament preparations has been sourced by the public sector in Ukraine, and concerns have been raised previously that costs had rocketed given the time constraints. “All this means only one thing: Euro 2012 will end, but the Ukrainian people will continue to finance it, because we will need several years to pay back the loans,” Tomenko said.