Host cities await Confederations Cup verdict
01 Nov 2012
FIFA is set to make a final decision on whether all six venues will be able to stage Brazil’s 2013 Confederations Cup at a media conference in Sao Paulo on November 8.
Rio de Janeiro, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte, Fortaleza, Recife and Salvador have been selected as the host cities for the Confederations Cup, which will begin on June 15. However, there remains doubts over whether all six will make the final cut for the traditional warm-up event for the World Cup. Recife’s Arena Pernambuco is believed to be the main concern; with contractor Odebrecht Infraestructura stating that only 64% of the construction has been completed at this stage.
Speaking last month, Brazil’s Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo said he was confident construction work at the new 46,000-seat stadium will be completed in time to allow the venue to host Confederations Cup matches next year. Organisers have received assurances from Pernambuco State Governor Eduardo Campos that the Recife stadium will be ready on April 14. Rebelo said: “The work has been progressing at a fast pace and the numbers show that it will be possible for the venue to be ready for the Confederations Cup. In November we will be able to have that confirmed. The government is monitoring reports showing that the state government and the constructors are putting in a major effort. The Arena Pernambuco is a stadium that has come along at a very fast pace.”
FIFA has previously stated several match schedules including four, five and six cities have been drawn up for the Confederations Cup in order to “adapt smoothly” to the current situation. The past two editions of the tournament have seen Port Elizabeth and Kaiserslautern removed as host cities.